Monday, October 8, 2007

Random Thoughts After A Typical Losing Weekend

Random thoughts from what is proving to be a typical post-loss weekend:

- Listening to Tommy Bowden say the Tigers "can't work any longer or harder" on special teams doesn't really sit well. I would think I could find extra time somewhere if I were having such troubles.

- I then remind myself I'm not Tommy Bowden. I host a talk radio show. He's likely forgotten more football than I'll ever know. His happens to be a cutthroat business.

- Still, you would think...

- Those fans calling for Bowden to be fired now, as in today, need to step back a bit. If, at season's end, the ship is still taking on water at an alarming rate then the athletic director will do what needs to be done. But Bowden deserves the chance to coach these final six games and see what happens.

Were he continually embarrassing the university with player arrests, poor on-field conduct, awful graduation rates, etc., then yeah. Fire away. But wins, losses and special teams gaffes aside, Bowden has always represented Clemson University with class. He deserves the same consideration.

- Of course, Terry Don Phillips has played Russian Roulette with this weapon before. In 2003, if you recall. Is he willing to gamble again?

- Sometimes the quick notes need a bit more clarity to them. I'll work on that.

- Wednesday, I can promise you it will be good to talk some basketball with Oliver Purnell.

No comments: