Saturday, February 14, 2009

Getting Back In The Game

Had a long, long talk with John DeFendis late this week.

Just came out and flat told him what I've been dancing around here for the past few weeks. My motivation is waning. I'm struggling to keep moving forward.

I'm scared to death I'm going to undo all the good I've done and be miserable again.

Fortunately, as much as he likes to talk (and boy, does John like to talk), he's also a good listener. And during our two hours together he anticipated virtually every issue or roadblock I had. He had comforting, reassuring words for everything.

I can't tell you how much better I feel now. In the last six weeks or so I've gained back probably 7-10 pounds. Won't know for sure until Monday. But then I'll be resuming the program full bore, without excuses. My regular weigh-ins will resume on Wednesday.

One of the things we've done, at John's suggestion, is set some short-term goals to go along with my long-term goal - which is to be in great shape by late Jan. 2010 so I can participate in the Cincinnati Reds Fantasy Camp out in Arizona.

But the short-term goals are designed to keep me motivated along the way.

First up?

My birthday is April 14. He wants me to lose at least 32 pounds between now and then.

The game is back on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be a great birthday for you. I have a feeling about it!!!

Marsha Byers Mays said...

Keep up the good work, sounds like you can accomplish a lot when you put your mind to it. Praying for you and your goal.

Anonymous said...

Dan - I live in the southernmost part of Argentina and even though i'm a long way from you i can see that you are determined to make this goal. I think that you will! Do not give up, EVER!!!! Orlando Gerrard