Friday, May 30, 2008

Saturday Test

Tomorrow should be interesting.

Going with my family and a church group to Six Flags in Atlanta. The plan is to be at the park from open to close. Which means, obviously, much walking.

Flashback to July last year.

Pre-diet. With the family in Cincinnati, taking in the Reds one night and the next day heading out to Paramount's Kings Island. Just the wife, the kids and me.

It was, in a word, awful. Couldn't walk for any great length of time without massive back and knee pain. Spent half the time sitting, half the time trying to play catch-up with my family. Ultimately I had to just send them on their way and spend quite a bit of time alone.

By the time the park closed, I was a mess. Thankfully I found a ride from the center of the park to my car in the parking lot.

Otherwise, I might still be trying to get there.

I told my wife that night that enough was enough. I'd had it. I had to do something about my weight, because I didn't think I could go through something like that again.

Naturally, I didn't act on it. Even though I suffered for a few days afterwards.

If you've followed this blog, it wasn't until my dad's health issues cropped up in December that I got scared into action. Sometimes, as I've noted in the past, I have trouble seeing the painfully obvious.

Anyway.

So now, nearly 60 pounds lighter and getting around a little better seemingly every day, Saturday will be yet another test for me. How will I handle another day in another amusement park?

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is interesting. i'm hoping to see a quick update once you get back from the park, hopefully saturday night? whatever happens, your a hero to your kids for doing this, you know. amy worthen (clemson '02, GO TIGERS! BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!) i try to read the blog most every day and have it set up where my cell phone will alert me when there's an update.

Dan Scott Show said...

I will post as soon as I can. Physically...LOL.

Anonymous said...

I know we are all anxiously awaiting Dan's report from how the day went. Hopefully he'll check in with us soon. tpr