Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mathematical Error

Math has never been one of my strong suits. This morning I got a stunning reminder of that fact.

Getting on the scales last week something didn't quite seem right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Somehow the numbers weren't adding up.

So this morning I went back and started tracking previous posts and found the problem. In one of my last posts in December, I put the wrong number down on a weigh-in. It should have read 367, but I put down 377. Which caused me to operate off of that number in ensuing posts.

What does it mean?

Well, for starters it means that not only did I NOT hold serve for the three weeks over the holidays, I actually gained weight. Seven pounds, to be exact.

So the Year Two Scorecard actually should read like this:

Week 1 - Lost 3
Week 2 - No Weigh-In (Traveling)
Week 3 - No Weigh-In (Traveling and Holidays)
Week 4 - Gained 7 (Covers previous two weeks)

Pains me to write that, but facts are facts.

And the facts are that I've spent the better part of a month falling back into my old ways. And it's showing on the scales.

As you might imagine, this morning's revelation has been a smack in the face. However, I think it's a good thing.

It has brought home the fact - perhaps more clearly than ever - that I'm in a daily battle with this thing. And no amount of harping, yelling or supporting by anybody means a damn thing if I don't take care of myself.

I could be overly dramatic and say that I'm at a crossroads, or some nonsense like that.

But the fact is that for the last month I've simply been a slacker. And once the bad habits have crept back in, it's difficult to get back on the straight and narrow.

That's my focus.

That's my goal.

That needs to be my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i said hold the bad food!

Anonymous said...

please don't let me know!!! you know I'm counting on you to help me through this as well. i'm really counting on you to give me the courage to lose this weight as well. i need to lose the weight bad. it is a roller coaster for me too. it's a ride i don't want to be on. just down.

Anonymous said...

Hang in Dan, I was very ill over the holidays and had to make big adjustments to my diet and lifestyle...lost 20 lbs in three weeks, but started feeling good and started going back to my old ways...have to face facts or I'm not going to be around as long as I should be...Let's do it, buddy...