Sunday, January 4, 2009

Perspective

If I sat down and made a list of my enemies, I don't know how many there would be.

That's always a dangerous subject anyway, because you really never know who hates your guts. Most folks don't have the cajones to tell you. They hit and run, so to speak.

Anyway, that's not the point.

If I could make a list of my enemies, I may not know how many to write down. But I do know who would be at the very top.

Me.

I am my own worst enemy.

Not in the breaking the diet sense. In the self-inflicted stress sense.

Here's what I mean:

When I started the weight-loss process in late Dec. of 2007, I finally came to the realization that I wasn't in a race. I wasn't going to take off all the necessary pounds in just a matter of months, because it took over 20 years to get to that 479 mark I topped out at.

I finally accepted the fact that it was going to be a long process to get it off, and then a lifetime of work to keep it off.

There have been ups and downs along the way. The good weeks are an incredible high. The bad weeks - some of them anyway - have been terrible lows. But for the most part I've been able to stay on something of an even, albeit unsteady, keel.

So this holiday season comes along, and for the last 10 days or so I've not done well at all. In fact, I'll have gained weight when I hit the scales Wednesday morning for my first weigh-in in two weeks.

And as each slip-up accumulated into this bad stretch, I allowed myself to slip back into the "I'm failing, I'll always be fat" mindset. Spent a good deal of time feeling sorry for myself, to be honest with you.

But no more.

Today, while driving from Clemson to Titusville, Fla. (I have a game to broadcast in Miami tomorrow), I had a long time to mentally hash things out in my head. It was quite the battle, me vs. my psyche.

But about three-quarters of the way through the trip - as corny as this sounds - I felt a sudden peace come over me. And within that peace, I determined that I wasn't going to mentally whip myself anymore.

I'm not in a race. I'm not on anyones time schedule but my own.

Yes, I know John and Vernon want the weight to come off me as quickly as possible. And yes, I know the closer I stick to the Ultra Fit program the better, more rapid success I have.

I also know they both read this blog, and guys, I promise you. I'm there with you. I want the weight off, and I'm going to see the program through, and I'm going to make you proud and be another shining example of your success.

But what I'm not going to do is kick myself all over the East Coast because I've had a bad stretch.

Beginning right now, it goes in the books for what it is. Black and white. Nothing more.

If I take eight more months to get the rest of the weight off instead of six, or even a year, so be it.

What's a couple of extra months compared to the rest of my life?

Now understand, I'm fully intending to get back on the straight and narrow and get this done based on the proven Ultra Fit timetable.

The point of this whole manifesto is simply this:

I'm finished beating up myself mentally over every bad meal or bad day.

If I screw up, I'll acknowledge it, get right back up on the proverbial horse, and take off again.

I keep reminding myself, just like others have reminded me in recent days, that I've done a hell of a lot of good in the first year.

Sometimes those accomplishments get obscured in the heat of the moment. And trust me, I'm still big enough to cast a shadow large enough to obscure pretty much anything.

But not where I've come from, and where I want to go.

Those destinations are more clear than ever today.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dan, You know you can do this. You are right about being your own worst enemy, as I am mine. In my head I think I will always feel fat. Our heads can really mess with us. I will continue to follow your SUCCESS! See you at the Ladies game Thursday night. Your diet buddy, Rita.

Anonymous said...

Dan - great job calling the game today. you're much better than Don "uhhh" Munson. Steve Poteat (Clemson '83)

Anonymous said...

Dan,
I relate bad food to drugs and you need to stay with clean healthy food as the Ultra Fit program recommends
(and do not prescribe to low carbs as that is disaster and creates long term failure and a life of yo yo dieting or obesity)
When our kids are in their mid teens and we tell them to stay away from drugs...would we be happy if they had a "cheat day" or if they kept saying that it is a battle and they couldn't help the slip up?
This is your life and your health. Bad food is your drug and you are setting an example in discipline for your children.
Will it be okay if they make excuses for "slipping up?"
Dan, I care about you and I want the best for you, but I have been in this profession for 32 years and the people who make it and take the weight off are not the ones that start making excuses when they get half way there.
The people who succeed are the ones that have their eye on the target and keep moving forward without a slip...without an excuse.
A commitment is a commitment.
I made my commitment when I was 13 years old and I said that I would win the Mr. USA title. It took 17 years without cheating or eating bad food but I achieved my goal.
And my goal did not involve my health or longevity.
Now I continue my commitment and I stay on the program, every meal, every day, every week and every year that I want to be my best!
Why not?
It works and you have the best support team...people who truly care about you and want the best for you.
It's alot better then having no program, no support and just winging it.
How about the people in foreign countries who are starving.
Wouldn't they love a couple of pieces of chicken or lean red meat and some potatoes or rice?
I bet they would kill to get their hands on some Ultra Fit Waffles.
How important is your life?
How important is the future of your family?
How important is it for you to spend an extra 20 years with your children and grandchildren?
You decide, but please stop thinking you have till eternity to get the weight off. It doesn't get easier as we get older as the body recovers slowly and progresses alittle slower.
So...Why not do it now and BE RELENTLESS in the pursuit of your goal. I want to be my best when I turn 51 years old this year.
And I plan to!
Let's do this together and get it done before your enthusiasm and commitment fade away into the sunset.
I wish I could diet for you as I would step in today and get it done. I honestly would.
You have seen good results but you haven't seen the best results because you have not been 100% steady for weeks at a shot.
That's when the results will multiply tenfold.
What do you say?
Your coach and a friend who cares,
Johnny DeFendis

Anonymous said...

Heard John on the radio today and read his reply. I'm certainly not going to get into any kind of debate regarding what you (Dan) blogged and John replied. I will say that his comment:
"It doesn't get easier as we get older as the body recovers slowly and progresses alittle slower."
is spot on. I'll even take it back a little, I began to notice it some at 40, but it was NOTHING like hitting 50.

At the begining of 2008 I had 3 injuries in 3 months. THAT was new in itself. Two of them took 30-45days to heal, THAT was new. I still have one today (probably a bicep tendon tear). I also notice that aerobic conditioning goes away much faster than before.

50 has been the most drastic age for me in noticing physical change.

What does all that mean, not much coming from me. But while I don't think that you have to set some hard date and deem it failure if you miss it as long as you continue steady progress in your effort, I would encourage you to press on with haste as age will make the process more difficult (now THAT is a run-on!).

knh

Anonymous said...

my enimy no. 1 is anyone that likes the nw youerk yankees!!!!

Anonymous said...

YOU WILL DO IT DAN!!!