Wednesday, December 31, 2008

More Good, More Bad

Yesterday was the kind of day that drives me crazy.

Got up in the morning and worked out at the gym here. Had three good meals throughout the day. But then ruined it with one bad meal.

That, and dipping into my wife's snacks from time to time...My occasional lapses in discipline the last couple of weeks have been driving me nuts.

I had a friend text me yesterday and tell me to stop obsessing about such lapses. And maybe I should.

But I can see what's happening here. I can sense the same type of attitude that I've had in past failed attempts.

It's the, "I've lost this much. I can do this anytime I want" mentality, something that's plagued me for the past 20-plus years.

I suppose it's symptomatic of the whole issue here. For all the success I've had - and 112 pounds in a year is great success - it's hard not to view the stumbles as failure. I don't struggle with it as often as I have in the past, but it still occasionally gets a grip on me.

And right now I'm in a place and time where it's grip is strong.

All I can do is look at today as being another day. Another opportunity.

After my show I'll hit the gym again, and later take a long walk on the beach.

Maybe the salty air will clear my head.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hang in there bud. Wait till we start traveling together during the baseball season. I won't let you get away with anything! That also means Sack won't get his usual ice cream stops. Here is to better health for all of us in 2009.

Don Munson

Anonymous said...

Walk on the beach, you SUCK ;-). Travel is very tough, you know I know. Any meal you eat on the road is most likely not within your parameters at home. The extra exercise will go a long way to offsetting the food.

Jacksonville beach, again you SUCK!

knh

Anonymous said...

i'm sick of hearing the excuses. if you want to lose weight, get serious. talk to you later today. phil

Anonymous said...

Remember two very important phrases:

1) You are in the "fight of your life" !

2) You are in a "fight FOR your LIFE !

I'm betting you win both !

Dennis in Simpsonville

Anonymous said...

Tell Phil to kiss my butt!! I think you've done a great job Dan!! 112lbs?!! That is fantastic. It's easy for people who have never had a weight problem to say stupid remarks like, "get serious or just stop eating!!" Ignore those idiots. Obviously, you're doing something right, look at the weight you've lost!! If you don't cheat every once in a while, by cheat I mean, take a taste of something you haven't had in a while, you'll drive yourself nuts and then you're in danger of really splurging. What helps me is chewing gum. Extra. If you've ever watched The Biggest Loser, they tell you to chew Extra. It does work for me. I always have like carrots and brocoli in the fridge to snack on. See my doctor put me on the Atkins diet because of my liver. No carbs for the first two weeks and then I can have up 23 carbs a day. You can do this too and you are doing it!! Be proud of your accomplishment because it is so very hard to lose weight than it is to gain it!! It's definitely a fight and you will win!! Love you much, Leighsa....

Anonymous said...

Dan... You will beat this..
Defendis won't let you fail.

Anonymous said...

Leighsa (if that is your real name) - i am just trying to encourage my friend. no everyone reacts to the same treatment. maybe a woman would handle the soft-glove treatment you're giving him, but a man (he is over 40) like dan needs to be grabbed by the you know what and tossed around every now and then. PK

Anonymous said...

Kornblut - shouldn't you be calling usc recruits telling them spurrier is still the saviour of usc football despite the fact he has lost to clemson three out of the four years he has been there?