Thursday, August 7, 2008

Finding "It" Again

I've had nearly 36 hours to digest yesterday's weigh-in.

While I still don't know how a seven-pound gain is possible, I have spent some time in quiet reflection on my situation. I've been looking at the past couple of months, not just last week.

In the heat of battle, the major issues appeared to be temptations while traveling and other assorted cheating. And those have played a role in my current position, that of a man trying very hard to remain calm while the quicksand slowly rises around his ears.

The bigger issue, though, is this: Slowly, over the course of time, I've made little allowances that have turned into bad habits. Too much diet soda. A small piece of bread nicked from my wife's dinner. Little bits of dessert and/or other forbidden foods.

Yeah, it's only a bite here or a dab there. But it adds up, and suddenly I've realized that the program I started back in December isn't exactly what I'm doing now.

I'm still eating better, but I've got to make myself get back to the hard-line stance I had early on.

No more "It's just this" or "It's just that."

Willpower. I don't have nearly enough of it. Not lately.

And that's where I am today. Searching.

Again.

4 comments:

sunshine said...

Hang in there :>
Anything you do right takes time
Focus on what you have already accomplised and keep taking steps to your goal

Anonymous said...

you'll make it.

Anonymous said...

you have to look at it this way: everything that's worth it takes the time that other things don't take. what i mean to say is sometimes you have to be patient. it'll take some time for this to happen but i can tell you're trying and that means a lot to everyone around clemson. GO TIGERS!

Anonymous said...

dear dan - looking foward to your stories on tigernet this fall!!! i think your perspective on things is refreshing and lightharded all in one! that's something that you don't get everywhere. hal boyston (clemson '54)