Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sad Evening

Just got back from the funeral home in Liberty.

Anthony's family was receiving friends tonight. The funeral is tomorrow and I won't be able to go because of work, so I wanted to make sure I saw him this evening.

It was a difficult thing, as you might imagine. But I did get to meet Anthony's sister, Pam, and several other members of his family. And I'm pleased to report that there was a huge crowd there, people coming in and out the entire time.

Goes to show how well loved he was.

But it goes to one of my fundamental pet peeves. Often we don't show how much we care or appreciate someone until after they're gone. And then it's too late. At least for the deceased.

That idea - honoring and appreciating someone while they're still alive to enjoy it - is the genesis of a plan we're going to implement at Upstate Challenger Sports. If all goes according to plan, early next year we're going to pick out someone to honor and throw a massive dinner for them. Guest speaker. The whole works.

That's in the future, though. Unfortuantely, Anthony's future was cut short. But his memory lives on.

And as much as I hate funeral homes (another story for another time), I'm glad I went tonight.

Rest in peace, Anthony.

No comments: