Thursday, September 25, 2008

Upping The Ante

Today was the second of my back-to-back workout days with Vernon.

I do three days a week - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Each session lasts an hour.

Though I haven't actually gathered an accurate count, we generally do 9-10 different exercises each day. Seems to be blocks of threes, each block focusing on a different part of the body. It doesn't always work this way, but through three weeks of sessions that appears to be about normal.

For instance, today we worked on thighs, hamstrings and biceps. Three different exercises for each one, all at varying weights.

Yesterday it was chest, shoulders and triceps.

Apparently what's happening is I'm burning fat by building lean muscle. That, along with the eating program, has led to losing over 20 pounds in the first two weeks.

But it hasn't come without a price. Two of the three workouts Vernon put me through this week were tough (of course, when you've spent the better part of 23 years sitting on your whazoo, any kind of exercise it tough).

However, Vernon says my stamina is getting better, and that he's intentionally ramping up the intensity of the workouts. Bit by bit.

So literally, what doesn't kill me is going to make me stronger. At least that's the understanding I have.

The thing I like so far about Vernon - well, one of many things - but in this particular case is his soft but stern manner. He has a way of motivating without getting in your face and screaming at you. At least to this point.

What's surprising is that I haven't yelled at him yet...LOL. But seriously, I'm trying my best to take it all in stride and keep working as hard as I can.

Because make no mistake. I still hate going to the gym. But I've already seen the benefits of working with Vernon, so there's no way I'm going to quit now.

And maybe, just maybe, someday the gym and I will come to an uneasy truce.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS Dan the Man I knew you could do it..If only I had the will power and the positive reinforcment of a trainer....Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing you at our next High School Reunion. Go Pack Class of 86

Anonymous said...

you are going to surpass all your goals and make all your wildest dreams come true! PEDRO SANCHEZ

Anonymous said...

Do you know how hard headed you are? How long have people on this blog encouraged you to get into exercising?

But alas, you gave in and now you are reaping the benefits. GREAT JOB! 3 months and 22 pounds to go to 100 in a year. You can do it!

knh