Sunday, February 17, 2008

Catching Up

Sorry for the few days delay. Seems as if time is skipping by two hours at a time lately, rather than the traditional one.

If you've been reading you know that I haven't started an exercise program yet. I think that's about to change. Mentally I'm getting about to the point where I'm ready to go.

And while I have a place lined up I can use at my discretion, I have received offers from other folks willing to help, as well. And I appreciate them all.

In one or two cases I can't help but be a little wary, though. When you're in a job like mine and you have developed a bit of a public persona (someone called me famous Saturday. I laughed. Michael Jordan is famous. I do radio in Clemson), people love to reach out to you for varying reasons. And I love being able to help.

But from time to time, especially when you're doing something as dramatic and public as I'm doing with my weight loss program, I've found that I have to watch out for others trying to seek personal gain off of my misery.

I'll never forget one particular attempt back 4-5 years ago. A friend hooked me up with a trainer in another part of the state who was touting a particular plan - protien shakes, supplements, etc. I decided to try it and in my first phone conversation with the guy after I received my shipment, he asked how much I weighed. I told him.

His response? Paraphrashing here, basically he said that with as much weight as I had to lose it would come off quickly. And if I really pushed and did it quickly enough, he could enter us into some sort of contest through his business and we would stand to win a truck load of money.

That's all he talked about the entire conversation. It proved the be not only the first, but also the last time I called him.

Meanwhile, I'm still sporting the magnificent temple of a body you see before you today.

So if you've made me an offer and I haven't answered, or I've said thanks but no thanks, don't be offended.

I'm simply trying to ensure that this time, by Goren, I get it right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's how I would make money...I would be willing to be anyone at whatever odds they want to give that you WILL make it to your goals. I WOULD WIN THAT BET! GO DAN GO!