Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Creature Of Habit

I am, as the headline on this post would suggest, one who tends to operate on a regular schedule.

Unless I'm on the road somewhere, my life revolves around my 9 a.m.-Noon time slot at the radio station. And even on the road, I have set patterns by which I usually do things.

Boring? Not really. It's just a matter of functionality. And trust me, the road trips and game coverage provide enough change and excitement in my professional life. Plus, I have two children. What more excitement could you want?

Anyway, this time of year with baseball done and not much happening other than the show, the day is pretty well defined. That includes eating and weigh-in habits.

Doing my show 9-Noon, I can get to Clemson on weigh-in day and hit the scales before I've had anything to eat or drink (a must for a true weight readout). I can also keep breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner pretty much on schedule - which is good for me as I try to shrink down to normal human size.

Filling in for Mickey this last week-plus has been a challenge. Not anything like the challenge he and Kelli face with Ryan lying comatose in a hospital, understand. I realize this. But in my day-to-day life, I've had to adjust eating times and habits. I also have had to find an alternate weigh-in point for the time being, and try to figure out the plus-minus factor on the new scale compared to the one at Clemson.

I've been able to do it. Only problem is the scale is in a grocery store that's open 24 hours, and in order to weigh in tomorrow I'll have to get up even earlier than the 4:45 a.m. wakeup call I've had for the last week or so.

But you know what? I don't mind.

I'm helping a friend in a time of dire need, and at the same time I'm learning a lesson about adjusting on the fly.

Now, if I just hadn't had that cake, ice cream and chips over the weekend...LOL.

Oh well, my daughter only graduates high school once. It was worth it, no matter what the scales may say.

But now, it's back on the straight and narrow.

Anybody going walking in the evenings?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Dan, it must be tough when you were getting into a good, steady routine to suddenly have those plans thrown up in the air by what has happened - but OF COURSE everything pales into insignificance compared with Ryan's plight and the turmoil that Mickey and Kelli and their family are faced with. Keep up the good work in terms of the support you and your fellow radio station colleagues and all your listeners are giving them. Hopefully knowing a lot of folks are remembering them in their prayers will help. Good luck in Bi-Lo on the scales (I hope they don't have the scales near the cheap over-cooked donuts stall - always my favourite knock down purchase!!!)
Here's hoping for low numbers...
John H
English Correspondent.

Anonymous said...

ditto what john h said