Sunday, June 1, 2008

Six Flags Success


NOTE - I've been asked a couple of times for some before/after pics. Don't know how much you can tell here, but the top photo was taken last August when I was best man at my brother's wedding. The second was Saturday at Six Flags in Atlanta. Can you tell a difference? Now, on with the blog...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A chance to have a picture taken with an icon. A legend. How could you pass up such an opportunity? I tried to tell Bugs I was just a normal guy with a radio show, but he insisted on having his photo made with me.

Yeah, right. Anyway.

Still a little tired today, and my feet still hurt. But I welcome this kind of feeling. It came after I accomplished something - almost the way I used to feel after giving it everything I had on the field or court for a couple of hours.

A good hurt, if you will.

By the time we got parked, picked up our tickets, grouped up the kids and gave them their instructions, it was 11 a.m. I left the park at 8:15 to warm up the bus. So for better than nine hours, I was inside the Six Flag gates.

Now understand, when you're an adult waiting on kids at a large amusement park, there's going to be a lot of sitting. So I did get the usual rest opportunities.

But unlike last July, the rest stops were a matter of routine. Not feeling like a matter of life and death.

I walked around the whole park with no problems in my knees or my back. I had no trouble breathing. Even the areas where the walk was uphill, I did fine.

Again, I wasn't breaking any land speed records. But I wasn't getting left behind like I did last summer. Kept up the pace when we were on the move, and we were moving all day long.

Some of you will understand this, and some of you won't. But when you've allowed yourself to get in the shape I have over the last 22 years, something as simple as walking around an amusement park all day long is a reason to feel giddy, as I mentioned last night.

For the first 20 years of my life you couldn't keep me still. For the last 10, sometimes an act of congress couldn't have moved me.

How I felt this morning reminded me of that first chapter of my life.

Frankly, I'm ready for an encore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I CAN TELL!!!! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!! What a difference a few months can make. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Glad you and your family enjoyed the day at Six Flags. Keep it up. Have heard about your target for this Christmas (a little bird told us!) and we have every confidence in you achieving it. As the photo shows, already the difference is showing. Keep on walking - perhaps a hike in August when we are back? J & J, England.

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Next July I will pace you in your first 5k

Melissa said...

Dan, you look incredible. I had no doubts! What a wonderful thing that you were able to enjoy Six Flags with your family and church friends without any hindrance!!! I am so proud of you.

From the land where baseball postseason exists... at least for one more weekend,
Melissa, in Baton Rouge