Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fun Way To Exercise

I hate exercise.

At least the kind of exercise which has you in a gym lifting weights, or running on a treadmill, or riding a stationary bike. Never have cared for it.

As I've stated before, I much preferred - when I was able to do so - playing basketball for a couple of hours, or playing baseball/softball. Tossing the football around. Anything along those lines.

I wrote a few months back about buying the exercise bike for the house, and doing so against my better judgement. After a few weeks of half-hearted work on it, the bike is doing just what I thought it would - serving as a glorified clothing rack and collecting dust.

Okay, so it wasn't one of my better decisions.

But there's hope on the horizon. After a few weeks of fixing leaky pipes and patching a few holes in the liner, we got our pool up and running this past weekend.

Each of the last couple of days I've spent at least an hour in there, doing some calculated exercises as well as just some general thrashing about. It's been a great addition to my afternoons and evenings as the temperatures have stayed in the high 90's.

But for me, mental case that I am, it doesn't smack of boring old workouts. Whereas I hate the gym, I love the pool. And in just a couple of days I can already tell that it's been beneficial, as I am a bit sore in some places I haven't been sore in a while (keep your mind out of the gutter, please).

So perhaps the next few weeks will see an acceleration in the weight-loss process. No guarantees, of course.

But I can promise you this. I sure as Sam Hill don't dread coming home to get in the water.

Good thing there's no sand around, though. I hate when Greenpeace-niks try to roll me back into the ocean.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photos please! :>{)--< deb

Anonymous said...

I hope there is no truth in the rumour that the last time you jumped in the pool there was a tsunami that swept across Lake Keowee?
Enjoying the exercise you choose has got to be 75% of the battle! Good luck with it.....
No photos though thanks - what was Deb thinking???!!!
John H
English Correspondent

Anonymous said...

Activity > non-activity 100% of the time. Good job.

knh

Anonymous said...

keep it going. one question - what are the other names you go by? danno, danny, daniel, danny boy, lindadano, dan dan the radio man, dan the man, big dan, dan the flying scotsman? just wondering.

Anonymous said...

Goooooooo CUBS!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dan! You are an inspiration! I've thought about trying to loose weight for years. I'd like to see more in pgress pictures. kdh

Anonymous said...

Dan - i have to agree with you that the cubs fans are arrogant. what a bunch of clueless idiots. wrigley? it's a dump. only a bunch of clueless idiots would want to see baseball played at a place that has rats in the structure. Kerry

Ryan Hauck said...

I hate working out, but exercising by doing pool laps has never felt like exercise to me; I really enjoy it. A couple summers ago I lost almost 20 pounds in just 3 months by doing laps every morning (sadly, i've gained almost all of it back). If I can ever make a commitment to rearrange my daily routine I hope to get back to laps at least 3 times a week.