Thursday, October 23, 2008

Numbers Game

Today ended the first six weeks of workouts with Vernon at Coop's Gym in Anderson.

As I noted yesterday, I've lost 36 pounds in that six-week time frame since beginning the Ultra Fit system, bringing my total weight loss to 93 pounds. Seven pounds away from 100, with eight weeks to go before I reach the one year point.

Anyway, today Vernon took a new set of measurements to see how many inches I have lost, how much body fat I've removed, etc. The numbers were pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.

At least to me, because it's tangible proof of results - something I don't see every day when I look in the mirror.

Besides the 36 pounds, I've lost 5.3 percent of my body fat in the six week time frame. And I've lost 23.75 total inches across my entire body.

By this weeked I'll have photos to post. Front, side and rear views from six weeks ago to compare with pictures taken today. They aren't pretty, but I will let you see them so you can judge for yourself.

Anyway, here's the breakdown of measurements on various parts of my body. The first number will be from six weeks ago, the second number from today. The measurements are in inches around the area:

Shoulders - 59, 54.5
Chest - 59, 54
Waist - 65, 62
Hips - 60, 57
Biceps (relaxed) - 15.5, 15
Biceps (flexed) - 16.5, 15.75
Upper thigh - 31, 28
Lower thigh - 27.75, 24.5
Calf - 21.5, 20.5

Note that the numbers are all supposed to be getting smaller. The weight training right now is helping burn the fat. The muscle build-up will come later.

It's amazing the difference six weeks has made. But Vernon and John DeFendis deserve most of the credit. Their encouragement and understanding has been invaluable.

Will post the pics as soon as I get them.

Meanwhile, it's off to WV to visit my parents this weekend. It'll be interesting to see what they say.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

weight to go! are you ready to lose even more? I hope so.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear Dan, I'm glad one of us is winning the battle!

Anonymous said...

this is one of the most inspirational blogs on the internet! once you get under 200 pounds the value of this blog will be enormous to all of us that have struggled for years to lose weight. i am over 500 lbs right now and have been on programs that have taken me under 300 but have twice now gone back up to my original weight. if i could get under 200 pounds that would be the key for me and i know it will be for you. i have set 154 as my new target weight and i hope to meet you there in the near future.

Anonymous said...

Joe and Buster,
Please feel free to e-mail me at defendis@aol.com and let's talk about your goals. I know that I can help you if you are ready to jump onboard and follow Dan's lead.
There is no need to quit or become frustrated. There is no need to feel defeated.
There is only a need for action and Success!
Please let us motivate you to take action and lead you on the road to Success!
I look forward to the opportunity!
Respectfully,
John DeFendis (Ultra Fit)