Saturday, November 15, 2008

Press Box Challenge

Today is an example of the challenges I face on this "project" of mine.

Because my job has me on the run so much, it's difficult at times to keep ahead of the game where Ultra Fit-quality meals are concerned. It takes much preparation ahead of time to ensure I'm able to eat the right way - and on schedule - but even then there are roadblocks.

Today, for instance, I'm in the press box here at Clemson. Kickoff for the Homecoming game with Duke is 12:10 p.m. I ate before leaving the house this morning, but because the stadium frowns on bringing your own food into the facility, I get stuck trying to make the best of the press meal provided here.

Once I leave for the postgame show I host at Wild Wing Cafe in Greenville it's not so bad, because I can order what I need - chicken prepared with no salt/seasoning, plain baked potato and a salad. In fact, I'll be there so long that I'll do it twice.

But with the meal coming up here in the press box I'll have to make due with baked chicken or a turkey (deli meat) sandwich on wheat bread. Both of which have more sodium that I'm supposed to take in per serving.

The good news is I'll get at least two good meals on top of it before the day ends, which will help matters.

But the challenges remain constant. In January, for instance, in the span of a week I have to drive to Miami, back home, and then back to Tallahassee.

(AUTHOR'S NOTE : For those interested, I hate to fly. I'm chicken. I admit it. Well, let me clarify. It's not the flying that scares me. It's the slamming-into-the-ground-at-a-speed-so-high-your-brains-wind-up-in-your-shoes that terrifies me. I operate under this policy - If I'm driving and the engine bursts into flames, I can pull over and get out. That's not an option at 30,000 feet).

Anyway, I'll be doing all that traveling for Clemson women's basketball broadcasts. And then two weeks later I go to Boston.

Looks like I'll be toting around quite a few grilled chicken sandwiches.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the Ultra-Fit basis for the restriction of sodium?

Anonymous said...

probably to see more "diet" food to a gullible public like those people that show dan marino and his pals!!! just kidding defendis, back down! you're doing a great job with danno.

Anonymous said...

Marc, water retention.