Thursday, July 31, 2008

Taking A Breath...

Finally have a quiet moment alone to further update Ye Olde Blog.

I'm sitting in the main area of the press box here at the J.B. (Red) Owens Complex in Easley, again site of the Big League World Series. This is the eighth year Easley has hosted the event, but the first our station has broadcast games.

We - well, I - decided we would do 16 of them over the course of the eight days, and it's been a blast. The only trouble, if you want to call it that, is getting up for my show at 7 a.m. every morning and not getting back in bed in the evenings until midnight or later. It's been that way all week, but that's fine.

I'm getting to do baseball on the radio. What more could I ask?

This tournament is one reason I believe I had such a good weigh-in yesterday, losing the six pounds. Since Saturday of last week, I've been working day and night and haven't had time to think about cheating on the diet plan.

As long as I'm busy, the cravings don't bother me. I get hungry, yes. But then I eat at the appointed meal time here at the stadium and I continue with my work. I suppose it's the old "eat for fuel, not for pleasure" deal (although I will admit that Tuesday night, the night before my weigh-in, someone brought funnel cake and deep-fried Oreos to the press box. I'd never had a deep fried Oreo. So I tried one. Unbelievably good!!! Fortunately, it didn't hurt me. And that's the only slip-up I've had in over a week).

Anyway, the other help has been the constant water-drinking I'm doing while on the air. Sometimes I get out of habit and don't drink as much as I should. Not often, but it has happened. It did on vacation (so did a number of other things, apparently).

The point is, I suppose, that I got back to a business-like approach this week and it paid off.

Now the trick is to keep it up. I need to string some positive weeks together and get my average back up.

Oh, and keep the comments coming. I really do read every single one of them.

If this blog ever becomes a book, they'll all be included.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,
It is good to hear the 'spring in your step' that comes across in your last couple of blogs.
Glad you are feeling more positive about things.
We'll be back over in a couple of weeks to see you and check on your progress since we last saw you guys.
Keep up the good work and keep calling those innings...
John & Julie H
English Correspondents

Anonymous said...

you're at a rec complex. you should be taking advantage of that by walking! there's also a basketball stadium there. get a pick up game going in between games. there are football and soccer fields close by as well. a few 100 yard sprints never did anyone any harm! get to it! SC

Anonymous said...

so what would the name of the book be?

Anonymous said...

how about war and peace? to describe the war you go through when you're faced with wanting a shake or something like that and then peace when you're able to overcome the temptation!

Anonymous said...

what an outstanding job you did with the blws in easley!

Anonymous said...

Dan, seriously I am excited to hear about your weight loss. Keep up the good work. However, because of work, I never get to listen to you anymore, which is a bummer because I am a baseball nut. But maybe in your blog you could talk about some upcoming Clemson football, or write a pre-season commentary on tigernet. I always enjoy reading it. Obviously everyone else does because of the number of comments. Thanks for the time.

Jeremy

Anonymous said...

this blog never CEASES to amaze me with the writing! it's great! keep up the great work. i look forward to reading this every day and sometimes check back five or 10 times a day to see if there has been an update.